Standing up for yourself, although scary, can be beneficial. If you are being bullied you must stand up for yourself. If you are a little nervous to speak up I have a few tips to be courageous and stand up for yourself.
- Identify the problem. Make sure you know what you want to address.
- Think about how you will get you message across. Try using an I-message, you get your point across with out blaming the other person. Ex: I feel _______ when you ________.
- Don’t be frightened when you go up the bully. Make sure act confident. Confidence is key. Even if you are not confident act like you are. You will spew out confidence even if you are lacking it.
- State your point. Make sure you get everything out in the open.
- Say No if you don’t want to do something, or like the way the other person is treating you.
- Be sure that you are heard. You are not just a door mat that someone can walk all over.
I hope these tips are useful, and that you can gain the confidence to stand up for yourself. -LM